John 1:35-42 The following day John was again standing with two of his disciples. 36 As Jesus walked by, John looked at him and declared, “Look! There is the Lamb of God!” 37 When John’s two disciples heard this, they followed Jesus.
38 Jesus looked around and saw them following. “What do you want?” he asked them. They replied, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”39 “Come and see,” he said. It was about four o’clock in the afternoon when they went with him to the place where he was staying, and they remained with him the rest of the day. 40 Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of these men who heard what John said and then followed Jesus. 41 Andrew went to find his brother, Simon, and told him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means “Christ”.. 42 Then Andrew brought Simon to meet Jesus. Looking intently at Simon, Jesus said, “Your name is Simon, son of John—but you will be called Cephas” (which means “Peter”).
Andrew is the disciple known for bringing people to Jesus. Immediately after meeting JESUS, he introduced his brother Simon to Christ. Another time, when a great multitude was hungry, he found a boy with five loaves and two fishes and brought him to Jesus in Jn 6:8-9. Later some Greeks came to Jerusalem to celebrate the Passover and saw Andrew and Philip saying “sir we want to meet Jesus.” Andrew and Philip made the introduction as recorded in Jn 12:20-22. Andrew never lost his enthusiasm for the Savior.
The conversion of Andrew is recorded in Jn 1:36-37 – from the beginning of his changed life he was motivated to tell others what Christ had done for him. How about you–have you lost the joy of your salvation? If your Christian life has become stale or stagnate — it’s time to remember what Christ has done for you and to ask that He renew your excitement.
As important as it was for Andrew to bring others to JESUS – it was even more important for him to intimately know Jesus and spend time with Him (vv. 38-39). Andrew’s example is a good reminder that sweet fellowship with the Lord isn’t supposed to end with just reading a few Bible verses – our relationship with JESUS should also stimulate a desire to share with others the joy we find in our relationship with Christ.
Like Andrew – we know that Jesus is the Messiah, and the only answer for a sinful – hurting world. This alone should be motivation for each of us at Discovery –to help others find the Truth the Way and the Life – only found in JESUS…
What a story – what a pattern — Andrew brought Peter to the Messiah – in Luke 5:10 – Jesus told him he would not be fishing for men not fish….
Hey Discovery – calling attention to a project Samantha Myers is involved with. She is trying to not only raise awareness – but finances to combat MALARIA in Niger, Africa. Sammy has an aunt – uncle – and 3 cousins serving as missionaries in Niger. Sammy posted a video on her mother’s Facebook page — you can look up Liz Myers and see her post. There are a couple ways each of us can get involved
1) Go to Gofundme.com – and type in ‘Stop Malaria’
2) Visit with Sammy or Liz at church – or contact them via phone – social media
· Kasaan Jennings — spoke with Gregg yesterday and he told me since they flew back from Missouri in August – Kasaan has experienced dizziness and headaches. Tuesday and today (Thursday) they medical group at Bethsaida, Maryland will be doing MRI on his brain and spinal cord….Please pray for proper diagnosis & a problem than can be fixed
· The Marshall family that Big Pharm and the insurance can get together so KIKI can get the meds she needs for her issue
· Joy Weir is convalescing at home with a broken femur. Please lift up her son Andy – in the hospital in the K.C. area
· Church growth in Northeast Columbia – continue to live in Ephesians 6:11-17
· Continued growth of our children’s ministry – as we seek to consistently run 12 under 12 years of age each weekend….
· Continued favor upon all our D-Groups – the backbone and strength of Discovery
· Jerry Noble will be making some decisions ASAP regarding treatment for his medical condition – pray for wisdom and success on the decision
· We all know people who once attended Discovery with regularity and served in some capacity – but are now – no longer with us…..Rev 2:4 – speaks of losing your first love —- please lift up those the Holy Spirit brings to your spirit.
· Robert Keeton has had a couple procedures as they are exploring to find the source of his discomfort —
· It has been a couple weeks since we closed the book on Ephesians —-but we closed with a huge challenge — We asked – what would happen to Discovery if every member was prayed for everyday? Hope we haven’t forgot that already — and I trust we are lifting up someone in the body on a daily basis….keep up the good stuff!!!! James 5;16 – pray one for another….
Please reserve some time in the evening of October 9th……that evening Discovery will come together throughout the evening and pray — pray — pray. We will pray for outreach — we will pray for healing — we will pray for our widows and widowers – we will pray that God to do a work of grace in the Northeast sector of Columba…..This is a drop-in prayer time between the hours of 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM…
Kiki Marshall marched with the Hickman Kewpie band last Saturday afternoon in St. Louis…………Maddie Duff plays golf with the Rock Bridge girls team and they won the District last Monday at the Tanglewood Golf Course in Fulton, MO….they play in the Sectional’s this Monday in Troy, Mo…………Sorry to report that Jeffery Baker was hurt playing football for Harrisburg and will have shoulder surgery this Tuesday. Discovery will lift him up in prayer and ask our Father for success and a speedy recovery………… Over the year we have seen a significant shift from those who worshipped at Discovery on Saturday – to those now worshipping on Sunday…I think 2 weeks ago we had a record attendance for Sunday…..which means we had a very sub-normal group on Saturday. Sure love to see the Saturday evening group grow in numbers…………. Did you know two Sunday’s ago – the children’s ministry had 16 in class?………… A few years ago – lots of workers in construction were crying for work….at our Wednesday men’s D-Group a couple men sad they are booked up till January…..thank you Lord for supplying work for our men………1 Pet 1:24-25 4 As the Scriptures say, “People are like grass; their beauty is like a flower in the field. The grass withers and the flower fades. 25 But the word of the Lord remains forever.” And that word is the Good News that was preached to you.
Joshua 3:1-6 Early in the morning Joshua and all the Israelites set out from Shittim and went to the Jordan, where they camped before crossing over. 2 After three days the officers went throughout the camp, 3 giving orders to the people: “When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, and the Levitical priests carrying it, you are to move out from your positions and follow it. 4 Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before. But keep a distance of about two thousand cubits[a] between you and the ark; do not go near it.” 5 Joshua told the people, “Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do amazing things among you.”
6 Joshua said to the priests, “Take up the ark of the covenant and pass on ahead of the people.” So they took it up and went ahead of them.
Joshua 4:1-7 1When all the people had crossed the Jordan, the lord said to Joshua, 2“Now choose twelve men, one from each tribe. 3Tell them, ‘Take twelve stones from the very place where the priests are standing in the middle of the Jordan. Carry them out and pile them up at the place where you will camp tonight.’”4So Joshua called together the twelve men he had chosen—one from each of the tribes of Israel. 5He told them, “Go into the middle of the Jordan, in front of the Ark of the lord your God. Each of you must pick up one stone and carry it out on your shoulder—twelve stones in all, one for each of the twelve tribes of Israel. 6We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ 7Then you can tell them, ‘They remind us that the Jordan River stopped flowing when the Ark of the lord’s Covenant went across.’ These stones will stand as a memorial among the people of Israel forever.”