Do I really need to go to church to be a Christian? When Jesus talked with the “Woman at the Well” about places of worship, his point wasn’t that place was unimportant. John 4:24…Worshiping in “Spirit and truth” meant more to Jesus than location. The issue today is worship seems to NOT be valued.
Worship is sacred.
Our son – uses the word Liturgy as they develop each worship service. Liturgy means the people’s service or our public worship practice. So, when we talk about living a life as a worshiper, there are things we do together as believers that are special. In a nut-shell, at every service of Discovery – we will participate in Praise – in Prayer — in Hearing/Teaching the Bible. In no way did Jesus indicate to the woman in Jn 4 that public worship was unimportant!!!
Gatherings are more than evangelist events.
At Discovery – we have the traditional four-fold service structure which makes sense for all of us: Assembling, Word, Communion & Sending. If we forgo the Bible for thin sermons that entertain we miss the point.
One thing we know from the author of Hebrews – who said we spur one another on to love & good works. Are we more concerned about getting crowds or about loving the crowd God gives? The President of the Bible College I attended said this – “What you win them with – you win them to”…
We forget, so telling God’s story empowers us to live.
When we practice a liturgy that (A) gather’s God’s people (B) preaches God’s Word, (C) confesses sin at the Communion Table, and then (D) sends the church out, we are inviting all to live God’s true story.
In a world that has changed how we live in community because of social media, physical gathering is even more important now, than ever. If the BIBLE is not central – what will ground us? We need his table to teach us true grace. Our worship is not complete without the challenge to live out our purpose in Christ.
Sleeping in is not an option, or is it?
Have you heard this… “I had church at the beach,” or, “My church was on the golf course.”
· If you had people gathered as God’s people then you get one check.
· If the Bible was taught and shared, you have another.
· Next, if you ate the body of Christ & drank His blood, you get another check.
· Finally, if you are sent to live out God’s call on you then you pass. Enjoy a day off! But, should you call it church?
· Opportunity to lift the burdens of others
*****Operation Shoe Box — Connie announced how each could fill a shoe box for children to have a sweet Christmas. The list of objects to fill the box are on a sheet by the Yellow Duck
*****For the homeless in our community – we are filling a new sock with other items – i.e. shaving cream…soap…shampoo…Kleenex…candy, etc
· At our Celebration Services this weekend – our study will be Joshua 6 – the destruction of the walls of Jericho – and the salvation of Rahab the Harlot. Please read the chapter in advance of our study, so you will be acquainted with material discussed…
· If God is calling you to work with our children’s ministry – Jackie will be taking a group to St. Louis later this month to participate in a workshop put on by Group Publishing, which is the material we use in class. Please see her if interested.
· The D-Group which meets at Max/Annie’s home has had a couple outreach events with Welcome Home. This is a group of 12 homeless veterans. They could use canned goods – and we now have a box with a sign on it positioned between the restrooms at church — hopefully each of us can bring a few cans of soups – spaghetti O’s – and place it in the box….our group will take it to Welcome Home as it fills up….Thanks for your consideration in this area. One of the residents attended our group last Friday evening.
Really appreciate Bro. Doug stepping up at our last Sunday Evening Prayer Gathering. Bro. Ross has been in Russia for 3 Sundays – and Doug had it all to himself. We are wonderfully blessed with not only talent – but a spirit that wants to serve – thank you my brother…………Jerry and Mary Noble lead a D-Group but they took the summer off. Good news!!! Their group is back meeting each Thursday evening. If this would be a fit for you – please speak with Jerry or Mary and begin meeting with them each Thursday evening………..There is a sign-up sheet for those would would serve Christ, by taking the Lord’s Supper to shut-in’s. Like to use the remainder of October for sign up – and then early November have a training session at the Church on a Sunday Night. Please take advantage of this and sign up ASAP……………God has answered our prayers – and it was so good to see Jackie moving some of the chairs and tables to the East Room – and now they are using both rooms for children’s ministry – we were praying for 12 under 12 – they have had 16 under 12 — 2 out of 3 weeks…. PTL…….
Don’t praise yourself, let someone else do it…..This past Tuesday evening the 2016 State ladies golf match concluded…..Ross, Shirley, Kristin, Jim, and yours truly watched as Coach Coil draped a metal around the neck of Madison Duff….her team just won 2nd in the state….As proud as I was of her accomplishment that day – I looked into the future to the day, I would be in the Throne Room when Jesus welcomed her into His eternal presence with these word “Well done good and faithful servant.”
We have another granddaughter whose wishes need applauding…..Little Ruby Owen is in the 2nd grade and her birthday is next Monday….Her daddy flew into Haiti last Wednesday to work with relief efforts of Hurricane Matthew. We have no idea when he will return…..she put out an Instagram saying she didn’t want any birthday presents – she wanted money given to Haiti Relief – so far she has raised $720 – her goal is $1,000. This is commendable – and if you want to support Ruby – I can see to it you gift gets to Mission Of Hope…..
· Discovery will have the greatest fall and winter season of her short existence.
· Psa. 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord….Our Republic seems to be in mess — God is in control – but His children must pray over the next month for His will to be activated in all the elections – state/local/federal. God have mercy…..I’m sure you saw this recently – “I feel Trump and Clinton are two divorced parents fighting for custody of us. And we just want to go live with Grandma.”
· Joy Weir as she heals from her recent surgery
· Jackie’s sister in Shelbina – The Dr. said there is no rush – but the family could be looking at a huge decision soon. Wisdom. Understanding…
· KIKI Marshall has been ill recently – need that medicine – pray for big Pharm & the insurance to get their act together so it can happen
Joshua 7:16-26 16 Early the next morning Joshua brought the tribes of Israel before the Lord, and the tribe of Judah was singled out. 17 Then the clans of Judah came forward, and the clan of Zerah was singled out. Then the families of Zerah came forward, and the family of Zimri was singled out. 18 Every member of Zimri’s family was brought forward person by person, and Achan was singled out. 19 Then Joshua said to Achan, “My son, give glory to the Lord, the God of Israel, by telling the truth. Make your confession and tell me what you have done. Don’t hide it from me.” 20 Achan replied, “It is true! I have sinned against the Lord, the God of Israel. 21 Among the plunder I saw a beautiful robe from Babylon,[a] 200 silver coins,[b] and a bar of gold weighing more than a pound.[c] I wanted them so much that I took them. They are hidden in the ground beneath my tent, with the silver buried deeper than the rest.” 22 So Joshua sent some men to make a search. They ran to the tent and found the stolen goods hidden there, just as Achan had said, with the silver buried beneath the rest. 23 They took the things from the tent and brought them to Joshua and all the Israelites. Then they laid them on the ground in the presence of the Lord. 24 Then Joshua and all the Israelites took Achan, the silver, the robe, the bar of gold, his sons, daughters, cattle, donkeys, sheep, goats, tent, and everything he had, and they brought them to the valley of Achor.25 Then Joshua said to Achan, “Why have you brought trouble on us? The Lord will now bring trouble on you.” And all the Israelites stoned Achan and his family and burned their bodies. 26 They piled a great heap of stones over Achan, which remains to this day. That is why the place has been called the Valley of Trouble[d] ever since. So the Lord was no longer angry.