10 Ways Coming to Church Should Make You Feel Like You Are Coming Home
Is there ONE key component that causes people to return to church week after week? We know in Columbia there are over 100 churches – so what is there that connects you to the heart of God? A group of pastors recently met and discussed this topic – one gentleman rang the bell with his answer — in essence he said – “You travel a lot. Do you know how you feel when you arrive back at home? That’s how I feel when I come to this church.”
As I gave it some thoughts, I realized there are 10 Ways Coming to Church Should Make You Feel Like You Are Coming Home:
- My family, which I love, is at home. I should have a church family I love as well.
- People are happy to see me when I come home. They welcome me home. People should be happy to see me at church. It should be as though they are welcoming me home.
- I am loved unconditionally when I come home. I should be loved unconditionally when I come to church.
- I am treated with kindness when I come home. I should be treated with kindness when I come to church.
- I know my role and where I fit at home. I should know my role and where I fit at church.
- I can rest and relax at home. I should be able to rest and relax at church.
- I laugh and have fun when I come home. I should be able to laugh and have fun when I come to church.
- I can sleep in my own bed at home. I am comfortable. I should be comfortable when I come to church.
- I feel safe and secure at home. I should feel safe and secure when I come to church.
- I matter at home. My life should matter when I come to church as well.
How do you feel when you arrive at church? Is it anything like I just described?
On the front page of the AME Church in Charleston where the shooting was last night are these words…
“Jesus died a passionate death for us, so our love for Him should be as passionate.” Sister Jean German Ortiz.
There is no reason – nor is there any way we would be able to philosophize the events of last night — without a doubt everyone of us has several unanswered questions – which might go unanswered till eternity. Maybe at the top of my list would be this question – how and when did our Christian nation become so infused with hatred – satanic impulses – that killing seem justified – hating is okay – and I’m my own “god” so I can do to anyone – anywhere – just as I please??!!!???!!
Of all places – for Dylann Roof to go into the House of Worship – where Jesus love reign – and within an hour fill that loving sanctuary with destruction – devastation and death?
What is our obligation as Christians today? Obviously, we will not be in South Carolina today or tomorrow – yet our prayers can cover the congregation – the families of the leadership who have been taken from this life by such a satanic act…I trust EVERYONE will stop as you read these lines and pray for the Christian Community in Charleston – that they will lead in forgiveness and comfort.
As I watched the news early this AM – they were laying all blame on mental illness…..As long as Satan can convince this Republic that he does not exist – it is another victory for him…..Have you ever noticed those who kill and mame – never do anything do anything positive – yet the authorities always lay it at the feet of MENTAL ILLNESS…… WHEN will those in authority lay the blame where it belongs – SATAN. One can have cancer – and give to charity – encourage children – go to church…….one can have MS – and win people to Christ……….one can have Parkinson’s and lead a bible study…….Why when one has a illness of the mind – behavior is always negative – and detrimental to society???????
To say what I’ve said – please let me lay out a disclaimer —- NOT ALL MENTAL ILLNESS IS OF SATAN – AND NOT ALL WHO HAVE A MENTAL DISORDER WILL KILL AND DESTORY….
· John 10:10 the thief comes only in order to steal, KILL and destroy
Do you understand the devil has a 3-fold plan for your life: To Steal….to Kill….and to destroy…He has NO good plan for you and your life.
· 2 Cor 2:11 so thuat we would not be outwitted by Satan; for we are not ignorant of his disigns
· Matt 25;41 then the King will turn to those on the left and say ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons.’
· 1 Pet 5:8 be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
All of this poses the question – what should Christians do to stem the tide of evil in America???
· Pray with vigor and faith (2 Chron 7:14)…
· Never SKIP church –Heb 10:25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near……….be part of the team of faith that unites in faith, hope, and love
· Share your faith with anyone who will give you a listening ear….
· Become aggressive and not passive about the things of God
· Be part of the ANSWER – not part of the PROBLEM
· Lift up the Drage family as they lead us in triumphant worship – preparing our hearts for the Word
· Lift Max up that He will be led by the Spirit and present this special passage in Philippians with all power and clarity
· Lift up our church as we seek to make a difference in NorthEast Columbia
· Lift up someone you haven’t seen in a while that they will return to their first love – JESUS
· Lift up our stewardship – for the past few weeks we have fallen behind in our budget
· Margie (Jackie’s sister) – will soon be transferred to RUSK for further rehab
Looking Financially at Ourselves
Discovery Offering 6 – 14- 15
General Fund $962.00
Yellow Duck $ 4.00
Discovery Offering 6 – 7 – 15
General Fund $4480.00
Building Fund $ 40.00
Yellow Duck $ 25.20
With deepest gratitude, I want to thank my Christian family who have prayed for me during surgery and my recovery since. Also, I want to thank you who came by to visit and offer strong words of encouragement. Also I want to thank you who brought food to us during the first week after I was dismissed from the hospital….. Annie Jennings
The south room with the large window has now become the Church Nursery….last Saturday we were able to purchase 4 cribs which look exactly like the above image, for $200.00. They came from FWC – and the initial price was $1,200…..
Obviously this expense was not in the church budget – yet a tremendous necessity. If each would increase our giving by a few dollars the next couple weeks – there would be enough to cover this expense. Please mark on your check the amount you want to designate for the cribs.
Philippians 3:7-21 12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it,[b] but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. 15 Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. 16 But we must hold on to the progress we have already made. 17 Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example. 18 For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ.19 They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. 20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. 21 He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control.