When you’re disappointed by God This is Brittany Maynard the 29 year old who had inoperable brain cancer and at age 29 chose to take her own life and “die with dignity.” Within 10 years of our ministry, our son was deathly ill and the Dr. said the child would be dead by daylight. 100’s of Christians were in prayer for Gregg’s recovery – and thanks be to God he was healed. Throughout our ministry I have preached the sermon of a child who died of SIDS – I have had the funeral of a teenager who died in a car wreck – and a teen who took his own life. I have also had the funeral of a parent who did not see her young children grow up. Regarding our current series – do you feel DANIEL was ever disappointed by God????? Many prayed that Brittany Maynard would not commit suicide but she did — leading all of us to scratch our head and wonder why God has not done as we asked Him to do. Let me be painfully honest and ask you this question What do you do when you are disappointed by God? At our last movie night – Jerry presented the film – God Is Not Dead….the professor claimed to hate God – and was an atheist. Did you know that the #1 most people are atheist is that SUFFERING is the single greatest objection to belief in an all-knowing – all-loving, and all-powerful God. Atheist Sam Harris says that t he existence of a single suffering child anywhere in the world calls into question the existence of a loving God. All I want to say is REALLY? Scripture often speaks of suffering. Job’s sufferings are legendary; Moses was so discouraged that he asked God to take his life — Jonah was furious with God for not destroying the Ninevites…..Even Jesus cried from the cross- “My God, My God why have you forsaken Me?” Where has God disappointed you lately?
1) Don’t blame God for a broken world – The Apostle Paul prayed 3x’s for God to take away his “thorn in the flesh”. It is not important that we know what the THORN was – all we know is God did not answer Paul’s prayer. If YOUR thorn in the flesh is physical – know that it is not God’s fault. God created a perfect world – but Adam/Eve broke God’s law and sin entered the world. Discover – we live in a fallen world therefore do NOT blame God for this world’s ills? – We can love God for sending Jesus to cover and blot out the sin problem by shedding His blood on the cross.
2) As God to intervene – Whatever the source of your suffering, pray for God to help – protect and heal. Paul prayed 3x’s….Jesus said in Matt 7:7 – ask – seek – knock – all these words are in the present tense which means to continue to ask — seek – knock. Throughout Jesus’ ministry he intervened by praying for the reversal of the fall — healing lepers – casting out demons – raising the dead.
3) Trust God to redeem – God did not give Paul what he prayed for but he gave him something greater – ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me”
Where has God disappointed you most recently? Don’t blame Him for a fallen world. Ask Him to intervene and trust that He will either remove your thorn or redeem it. God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.
For the past 11 weeks, the Book of Daniel has been our topic of interest. This weekend we will close the door on the book. As each of us stops and considers what Daniel has taught us – our hearts are more than encouraged – our Spirits – and trained to “Dare to Be a Daniel” – and our lives are challenged to move forward regardless of the Spiritual Warfare that we will face.
The pre-incarnate Christ continues meeting with Daniel in his final vision. This vision begun in Ch 10 – and continues throughout Ch 12. This final chapter gives NO indication that our world is getting better and better or we are more loving – tolerant – and have a great desire to get along with everyone including all foreign nations. Ch 12 teaches just the opposite.
Our study this week will reveal a truth that is mentioned for the first time in the Bible everlasting life. The concept is throughout Scripture but V2 mentions Everlasting Life. In this chapter the Living Lord drives home the doctrine that the righteous will be bodily resurrected from the grave while the evil one will also be raised to contempt and shame.
An interesting question is asked in this chapter which need answered – (how long till these shocking events happen) – the Pre-incarnate Christ answered: time, times, and half a time!!! Daniel gets in the act and asks “How will all this end my Lord.” In V9 – God gives the body of Christ the reason for trials and persecution…..
The pre-incarnate Christ truly blesses Daniel in the final verse of his book by giving him a 3 point encouragement — You will GO…..You will REST…..You will RISE WOW – come and share this encouragement with your brothers and sisters in weekend
Someone said “pray as if EVERYTHING depended on God. Work as if EVERYTHING depends on you”…
· Please continue to lift up Kay and Jerry as they are grieving over the loss of husband and brother, resepctively.
· Andrea Turner who has been our friend since birth – and has struggled for 18 months with Leukemia will be traveling to Chicago to begin a new series of treatments. May our prayer be that God will do a work of grace and heal her body?
· Marcy Henderson is struggling with COPD
· Bro. David Croft lost his job last Friday – we believe when God shuts one door he opens another…
· Bro Rocky Philippe will have minor surgery next week
· Last weekend we were challenged to engage in Spiritual Warfare as the body of Christ. Praying that God’s angels hold at bay – and even bind Satan’s angels north of I-70 and the Gospel of Jesus Christ will have great acceptance by the 42,000 people who live in our community
· Continued spiritual success of the Sunday Night Thing. Salvation will be taught the next two weekends, – thus our prayer is that many young people will be challenged to give their lives to Jesus.
· 2 Chron 7:14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and re
store their land.
· God’s FAVOR over our D-Groups — 1) every group member will grow in the knowledge and grace of Jesus Christ; 2) those who have not yet committed to a group will see the blessing
and acknowledge their need for encouragement – support – prayer – and fellowship
Kaylee Faddis as on KOMU Tuesday evening, as she was one of the winners of the Veterans Day Essay winners. We couldn’t be more proud of you Kaylee….
Congrats also to Courtney and Shelby – blessings on you and the twins
11 As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. 12 As he entered a village there, ten lepers stood at a distance, 13 crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” 14 He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.”[a] And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy. 15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!” 16 He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan. 17 Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” 19 And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.[b]”
The 2014 Christmas Sermon Series will begin – Nov 29 – culminating with Christmas Eve service – Dec 24 — theme this year is ANCHORED IN ADVENT…..All are aware the favorite time for people to attend a church service is Christmas or Easter…
Hopefully before the series starts – we will have pass-out cards for you to give to friends inviting them to attend the series –
30th November – Anchored in Hope: Matthew 8:23-27 – Hebrews 6:17-20
December 7th – Anchored in Peace: Isaiah 9:2-7; John 16:33; John 18:33-38
December 14th – Anchored In Joy: Zephaniah 3:14-20; Mark 13:24-37
December 21st – Anchored in Love: Luke 1:46b-55 – The Magnificat
December 24th – Anchored in Light: Luke 2:1-20 (John 1:1-5)
SUNDAY NIGHT THING
Sunday at 4:30pm
We only have 2 more sessions before we go on hiatus for the holidays. You do not want to miss what me be one of the most important nights of your life! This week joint us for a special guest speaker! Next week we plan to end with something truly special. You do not want to miss it! Hope to see you there!
FREE BOOKS – In the front office/classroom (1st door on your right after entering Discovery) There are a couple of boxes of books which are free for the taking. Feel free to browse through then and help yourself to whatever strikes you. All Christian material, some text books, some devotional, inspirational and so forth. ENJOY!