Tomorrow evening (Oct 3 – from 7-9 PM) – our church family will gather for Prayer. One question several Christians ask is “I don’t know a thing I can do for the church!” God didn’t gift me to sing or teach….I am an introvert….I feel like a left shoe on a right footed world. Let me encourage you. YOU CAN PRAY!!!! Being objective – your prayers might do much more to strengthen and grow the body of Christ and you would ever imagine in a million years. After a brief welcome – soft music will play – we will be encouraged to pray. What you pray for is totally up to you — I would like to give you an example of what I prayed for a month ago — and I only do this as example. · Christ’s body at Discovery – I lifted up to Christ ever family – every single – every single parent – and every student — · Those who are hurting – i.e. physically, emotionally, spiritually · The Church’s witness in Northeast Columbia · As songs appear on the screen, you are welcome to worship in song – or remain in prayer. · Columbia – our city — what can we do to have a small spiritual impact? City leaders – preachers to proclaim GOD’S WORD with conviction and power · A strong America – wisdom for decisions made by the President/Congress which will affect us all – pray for a REVIVAL in our land · Finally – pray for yourself….your commitment level in all areas i.e. witness – attendance – giving – spiritual disciplines – seeking to grow deeper in faith and love of Jesus Christ.
A great scholar once said – that the teacher in his/her preparation learns so much more than those who hear the message. I’m sure this is the case in our current study of Daniel. Those who have commented on how you have been blessed by this series have encouraged my heart. This weekend – Daniel is brought out of retirement to interpret the Writing On The Wall – because none of the king’s wise men are able to give him the interpretation. Please read Daniel 5 in preparation for our Celebration Service. As you prepare your heart to worship this weekend — think on these things!!! What image did Nebuchadnezzar see in his dream and who were the 4 major world powers that were in the immediate future? Why would Belshazzar call for the goblets of Gold and Silver from the Jerusalem Temple to drink his wine at the banquet? What were the visible manifestations of the King when he saw the disembodied hand write on the wall? Why was the writing beside the lampstand? If Daniel could give the proper interpretation of the writing – what was Belshazzar willing to do for him? What was Daniel’s response to this offer? Why did God give Nebuchadnezzar 12 months to repent and change his ways – but didn’t give Belshazzar 12 hours to make the same decision? We must remember that God’s judgment is sometimes slow – yet always certain.
The Sunday Night Thing will begin this Sunday afternoon at 4:30 PM. This program is designed for our youth who are in 5th grade – through High School. At 4:30 – there will be activities for 30 minutes….get to know each other – enjoy games – or just hanging out. There is also a “snack-bar” – items will be around a quarter or fifty cents. At 5:00 PM – everyone will go into the auditorium. The praise team will lead in worship – we will watch a video or two – and participate in a game. At 5:30 – the lesson will begin and adults will be dismissed to the East Classroom for a bible study with Max. PARENTS – please do a couple things — 1) encourage your young person to be part of this program and 2) encourage them to invite their friends – and as parents – you can invite other parents to bring their youth to this activity.
· Bro Chris Fleenor texted early this AM to say Tori did not have the gallbladder surgery yesterday because there was an issue with the insurance….Tori is in great discomfort – now our prayer is that those issues be resolved and that she has the procedure soon.
· Bro Baker’s family as the are going through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. Yesterday when I mentioned their children – I inadvertently omitted a daughter in Nebraska – Darlene. She is on her way to Columbia.
· John Bowders – attends Jimmy and Ross’s D-Group was in a very serious bicycle accident last weekend in West Virginia – broken back – ribs – collarbone – legs won’t move. Received a call yesterday from Dr. Tom Dresser yesterday and his concern was that he suffered a spinal cord injury with disastrous complications….(Pray this is NOT the case).
· Continue to lift up Andrea Turner – great friend living in Olathe, KS – leukemia – her family sent a financial gift to Discovery yesterday.
· Becca Griffith – fighting a virus –
· Samantha and Sabrina Baker (twin daughters of Shelby and Courtney Baker) are still at Children’s Hospital. Today, they are tipping the scales around 4 pounds and could come home soon. PTL – they were born 7 weeks early
· Lift up the 1st Friday Prayer Gathering tomorrow evening –
· Our men/women in uniform – in general – and Patrick Fleenor in particular
This week there are 2 projects being undertaken at Discovery.
1) ESS – will be excavating around our lake — pulling out the dirt that had eroded around the bank….they will also plant grass and place a mat down to stop any further eroding. The cost of this project is $3,300…..Hope several of our family will help with this expense.
2) Coastal Electric will be placing a 3’ heater on the south wall of the men’s restroom that will prevent the pipes from freezing this winter.
13Then they told the king, “That man Daniel, one of the captives from Judah, is ignoring you and your law. He still prays to his God three times a day.”14Hearing this, the king was deeply troubled, and he tried to think of a way to save Daniel. He spent the rest of the day looking for a way to get Daniel out of this predicament. 15In the evening the men went together to the king and said, “Your Majesty, you know that according to the law of the Medes and the Persians, no law that the king signs can be changed.” 16So at last the king gave orders for Daniel to be arrested and thrown into the den of lions. The king said to him, “May your God, whom you serve so faithfully, rescue you.” 17A stone was brought and placed over the mouth of the den. The king sealed the stone with his own royal seal and the seals of his nobles, so that no one could rescue Daniel. 18Then the king returned to his palace and spent the night fasting. He refused his usual entertainment and couldn’t sleep at all that night. 19Very early the next morning, the king got up and hurried out to the lions’ den. 20When he got there, he called out in anguish, “Daniel, servant of the living God! Was your God, whom you serve so faithfully, able to rescue you from the lions?” 21Daniel answered, “Long live the king! 22My God sent his angel to shut the lions’ mouths so that they would not hurt me, for I have been found innocent in his sight. And I have not wronged you, Your Majesty.”
This week marks the 244th anniversary of the death of George Whitfield – one of the pastors who helped birth the Great Awakening which spread to America in the 1700’s…..Below are some of his quotes – I trust as you read you will be blessed and challenged…..
On Evangelism God forbid that I should travel with anybody a quarter of an hour without speaking of Christ to them.
On Reliance on God What! Get to heaven on your own strength? Why, you might as well try to climb to the moon on a rope of sand!
On Giving For, if we have not charity, we are not Christians: charity is the great duty of Christians.
On Prayer Believers keep up and maintain their walk with God by secret prayer. The spirit of grace is always accompanied with the spirit of supplication. It is the very breath of the new creature, the fan of the divine life, whereby the spark of holy fire, kindled in the soul by God, is not only kept in, but raised into a flame.