1 Thes 5:18 In everything give thanks, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus….
Many of us have lived the previous 10 months to get to this time of year — for me it is the best – bar none…..that time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pandora sent me a note at the end of October that I had listened to over 9,000 minutes of Vince Guaraldi Christmas music that month. My heart flutters – my spirit praises – my mind is centered on God…family…blessings…culminating in Jesus coming to die that we might live with Him eternally.
We will celebrate Thanksgiving a week from today (Thursday). May God encourage us to focus on our blessings and giving thanks for God’s wonderful goodness? Stay with me —- to do this is a good thing – but there is something even better – and that it to translate Thanksgiving into Thanks-living…. The Scripture quoted at the top – was not written to remind us to be thankful during the Thanksgiving Day? Point being……God wants us to be thankful!!!
1. Thanks-living lets God know our confidence is in Him regardless how deep our problems — regardless how serious our circumstances. Someone has said – “”thanks is FAITH turned inside out”.
2. Thanks-living changes your temperament – and character. Instead of being down and discouraged, spreading gloom and despair everywhere you go, you begin to radiate the joy of the Lord. The best witnesses for Christ are those who are facing life’s trials with a song of thanksgiving on their lips – illustrated by the Apostle Paul.
3. Thanks-living opens the door for God to work. God thinks very little of grumbling & griping….but He loves praise & giving of thanks. Paul and Silas were beaten and thrown into prison… and they sang a hymn of praise to the Lord. And when they finished singing, the Lord sent a jailhouse rock, and the prison doors were opened.
Let me challenge you as I challenge myself. Discipline yourself to give thanks in everything. Thank Him for the mountains … and thank Him for the valleys. He is worthy of all your thanks and praise.
Happy Thanksgiving Discovery,
I’d like to challenge every one of us to implement the following 6 thoughts daily into our lives as we live from Thanksgiving through Christmas —
· Live out the Golden Rule Matt 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
· Committed to Prayer Matt 14:23 After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.
· Jesus hung-out with sinners Luke 5:30-31 “Why do you eat and drink with such scum?” Jesus answered them “healthy people do not need a doctor” – sick people do.” I have come to call sinners to turn from their sin.
· Had time for the little people – Luke 19:1-10…Jesus hung out with Zacchaeus – and said – “salvation has come to your house…I have come to seek and to save the lost”.
· Jesus demonstrated unfailing love – John 13:1 He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end
This Friday evening @ 7:00 PM
After suffering a family tragedy, Mack Phillips spirals into a deep depression that causes him to question his innermost beliefs. Facing a crisis of faith, he receives a mysterious letter urging him to an abandoned shack in the Oregon wilderness. Despite his doubts, Mack journeys to the shack and encounters an enigmatic trio of strangers led by a woman named Papa. Through this meeting, Mack finds important truths that will transform his understanding of his tragedy and change his life forever.
Friday – November 17 – Date Night at the church – showing the movie The Shack
Saturday – November 18 – 1st message in the Thanksgiving Series –
Sunday – November 19 – 1st message is the Thanksgiving Series
Thanksgiving week – there will be NO D-Groups meeting
Thursday – November 23 – THANKSGIVING DAY –
Saturday – November 25 – 2nd message in the Thanksgiving Series
Sunday – November 26, 2nd message in the Thanksgiving Series
Advent begins – Dec 2/3 – The Redemption of Scrooge
Sunday evening Prayer Gathering – December 10 – 5;00 PM
· It’s better to be in a storm with Jesus than anywhere else without Him
· 5 by 5 rule ——- If it’s not gonna matter in 5 years don’t spend more than 5 minutes being upset by it
· People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it
· I never lose. I either win or learn
· Good things come to those who BELIEVE, Better things come to those w ho are PATIENT and the best Things com to those who Don’t Give UP
· If you want something you’ve never had you’ll have to do something you’ve never done
· Rudeness is the weak person’s imitation of strength
Happy for Kaylee Faddis – she passed her drivers test this week and is now driving………..Madison Duff received an invitation to join the Mu Alpha Theta – a national mathematics honor society – our congats to Maddie on this achievement………..Caleb Yoder has signed the papers and in time will join the U.S. Navy….our prayers for safety and continued Christian witness will go with him…………..The Drage’s will drive to St. Louis early next week and pick up Doug’s mother (Pat) and their family will have a few days together – enjoying Thanksgiving together…………The kids in the Children’s ministry are already getting ready for their annual presentation which will be given on Christmas Eve. Let’s lift up Jackie and her team as they pull all of this together…………Tom Detore ran another marathon last weekend in Kansas………….Maryann Williamson moved to Fulton to be closer to family…we will certainly miss her Saturday evening presence……………
Today, I’ll give you a topic to pray – you fill in the blanks with what and/or who you know needs that specific prayer…
· Those who are prodigal
· The children in our church
· The widows among us
· Those who need healing
· Those who need salvation
· 2 Chronicles 7:14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
· Servants in Columbia….Police…Firemen….Mayor….City Counsel….your children’s teachers….
· Protection around each household of faith
This weekend’s celebration service centers around gratefulness vs ungratefulness……maybe one of the first unusual events of the story is that we see when calamity and hopelessness abound – race doesn’t factor into the equation as we see a mixture of Jews and a Samaritan….Yet when Jesus appeared everyone knew He was the answer…..Oh, that we would be so wise – and desire to share that message with those today who are caught up in the leprosy of sin……
Luke 17:11-19 11 As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. 12 As he entered a village there, ten men with leprosy stood at a distance, 13 crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” 14 He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.”[a] And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy. 15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!” 16 He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan. 17 Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? 18 Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” 19 And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.[b]”
· Between now & the end of the year – share your faith with a non-believer. Pray that God will help you share hope, truth, and love to a soul floundering in hopelessness.
· We fill the Blessing Box 3x’s a week — we need YOU to bring a few non-perishable items to assist in this ministry
· If you do not have a set bible reading plan – you can follow the church’s reading schedule – it is on our Website and currently we are reading Psalm 119 – 150 currently…