Whether it be Christianity — jogging — sewing/knitting – cooking- I’m sure the thought of calling it quits – and throwing in the towel – has crossed your mind.
We do hear Paul say – I’ve fought the fight – I’ve run the race – I’ve finished the course…..We also hear him respond to all the sacrifices he made to share the gospel across Asia Minor — is he a man of steel….? It is tough – it is tiring – it is exhausting to live the Christian race 24/7!!!!!! In short this RACE Paul referred to is tiring – and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise…..
Maybe our family’s encouragement — maybe the job — maybe the paycheck keeps us going from week to week —- many are tired – discouraged – depressed – sad – and sorrowful —- if we are not careful – we could create our own tomb – we could pull the shades – dim the lights and lay down for days – enjoying our pity party — let’s be careful not to let this occur.
Don’t expect feelings ot save us from the tombs of our own creation – it is only the Power of God than can save us…
Consider this: 3 days and Jesus rose.
He bust out: He was in darkness, but moved to light. He was down, but never – out. Now, through Christ we can rise up from whatever wants to keep us down too.
· No one can hold the power of God down.
· No one can restrain what the Lord is sending out.
· No one’s emotions are too strong for God’s resurrection.
I don’t care what the father of lies & the accuser of the brethren tells you…
Open your eyes to faith.
· It is what gets you out of bed.
· It is what helps you take the next step.
· It is what makes you say that prayer yet again.
· It is what moves mountains.
Press against the very thing that came to hold you down: If tiredness hits you, it is by faith you go outside and run. If it is your financial debt that sends you into the dumps, it is by generosity towards your neighbor you find freedom.
You step out of your tomb and see green pastures. You see life. Do you want the spring in your step restored? Step in. Step out. Press into what is pressing into you – and you’ll get somewhere.
General Fund $1071.00
Obviously it is too late to participate in any of the organized services of prayer – but it is not too late for YOU to get into your Prayer closet and pray
Scripture this year is Dan 9:19 O Lord, hear. O Lord, forgive. O Lord, listen and act! For your own sake, do not delay, O my God, for your people and your city bear your name.”
· Confess our national and local addiction – to sex – drugs/alcohol – food – pleasure
· Confess our arrogance and pride that we feel we have what we do by our efforts – and not by your benevolent righteous right hand
· Confess our foolishness of denying You are the One Living True God – to whom we will give an account on the last day
· Confess our greed which has run up over a trillion dollars of national debt
· Confess that we have become one nation under many gods
· Therefore we turn to you in tears of shame and a heart of fear for the judgment we are provoking…we repent of our sin…..please God – do not back away from us – we must return to you in humility – please return to us….hear our prayer…forgive our sin…heal our land…for the glory of your great name JESUS…Amen
· Mother’s Day – May 14
· May 9 – Tuesday afternoon prayer time at the church for those available
· May 21 – 5:00 PM – will be our next Sunday evening Prayer gatheirng
· This coming weekend – we will conclude our sermon series on being a Disciple by looking at the Works of the Flesh and the Fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5….hope you plan to attend to grow in the likeness of Jesus who demonstrated every fruit of the spirit every day…
· This weekend we are bringing non-perishable items for a Care Package for Kirsten Yoder – who is in the Navy – and stationed off the coast of North Korea — She loves beef jerky – and would love to have a few letters from home
· Our next sermon series will be looking at 3 topics – Worship —- Mission – Community…these lessons will take us through the month of May
We rejoice with Jackie Drage – she started her new job this past Monday at the University Hospital…..Good stuff!!!!!…………….After the National Day of Pray (Thursday) – Annie and I went out to eat and ran into Dixie German – she was with a good pal – they had played rummy and scrabble throughout the morning – always great fellowship with believes outside the church building………..…Doug & family spent last weekend with their good friends in Springfield — saw tons of water – and they had a great worship experience – Doug said he heard the 1st exegetical sermon in a Charismatic church. He was blessed (Jn 8) ……………It is always good to see people who normally attend a specific celebration service – attend the opposite one — this happened to 5 people last weekend – and there were still several who couldn’t get to either because of the water……………don’t forget the Care Package this weekend for Kirsten Yoder………….. The coffee bar is paying its way….thanks guys – so glad to see the Keurig getting used – but there are sufficient funds in the coffee jar to replenish the supply….guess the greatest questions of the world are solved over coffee….Ha ha ha!!……………Bro Dog and Jackie’s D-Group is now the largest one of the 7 D-Groups……His was the last group to form – and has grown so quickly – and we all rejoice with them…………Tuesday of this week – Ross Steelman won the district golf match in Washington, MO – and moves on to the sectionals…………….
· Continued growth of Discovery church
· Continued interest in spiritual matters by our neighbors
· Continued spiritual growth of each member
· Kay Baker’s arm heals quickly — there is a long shot surgery is in the offing – and we want to pray that will NOT occur
· Those who have lost their first love (Rev 2:4)
· Revival of: love, repentance, giving, and purpose north of I-70
· Kirsten Yoder – (Safety – while in North Korean waters) & faith will grow & sustain her
· Youth as they go into finals – will study hard – perform well – and & proud
Acts 2:38-47 38 Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 This promise is to you, to your children, and to those far away[a]—all who have been called by the Lord our God.” 40 Then Peter continued preaching for a long time, strongly urging all his listeners, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation!”
41 Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all 42 All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper[b]), and to prayer.
43 A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. 44 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. 45 They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. 46 They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity[c]— 47 all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.