New research indicates that church attendance reduces stress. Before I explain why, let’s survey some reasons we need the help. What is going on globally is causing us stress
· Terrorist attacks in Great Britain
· Shooting in Orlando, FLA
· A farmer took his produce to farmers market in Michigan and was refused because he believes marriage is sacred between a man & a woman and he chose not to host a lesbian couples wedding in his orchard
Do you feel your stress level increase when you read or watch the newSo do I. This is not good—stress has been linked to cancer, lung disease, fatal accidents, suicide, and cirrhosis of the liver. It can damage the heart, weaken the immune system, and cause weight gain.
Fortunately, there’s an amazing remedy for stress: going to church.
We already knew that church attendance improves the longevity of women. A Harvard professor’s study found that women who attend religious services more than once a week have a 33 percent lower risk of death than women who never attend worship.
Now a new report by a Vanderbilt University professor indicates that those who attend church services may reduce their mortality risk by 55 percent. The study collected data on more than 5,000 people, finding that those who did not attend church at all were twice as likely to die prematurely as those who had attended a worship service in the past year.
Why is churchgoing so healthy? The Vanderbilt professor explains that social support, a sense of compassion, and personal holiness result from church attendance. Each is known to contribute to reducing stress. And the lower our stress, the longer and healthier our lives.
The remedy for stress is not found in our fallen culture but in our risen Lord. Fifty days after Easter, his followers were surrounded by a hostile Empire and decadent society. As they met God in worship, they were empowered by the Holy Spirit. They witnessed so boldly and preached so courageously that three thousand came to Christ (Acts 2). Before long, they “turned the world upside down” for Jesus (Acts 17:6).
Let’s pray and work that God will do it again through Discovery….”We are His witnesses”…
· This weekend’s Celebration Service will discuss the Burning Bush – fact or fiction? Please read Exodus 3:1-10 to prepare your heart for the study
· This Sunday evening (June 11) – will be our next Sunday Evening Prayer gathering. Discovery will gather to pray at 5:00 PM…..this month our service will be ONE HOUR….ending at 6:00 PM
· D-Groups will continue to meet as normal
· Parents of small Children – please hold July 22 or 29th open —- Jackie is planning our annual V.B.S. one of those Saturdays…..We’ll publish the actual date once it is determined.
· Bible Reading for June is (Micah – Malachi)….
· Home Communion is offered on Sunday afternoon for shut-in & hospitalized members – please contact Vern Johnson (573)–881-6293
Praising the Lord is always good – it is taught throughout the Bible – we should praise him when we feel like it and we should praise him when we don’t……One of our members (Kirsten Yoder) has been on the Carl Vinson aircraft carrier just off the coast of North Korea for some time…..Praise the Lord – the Carl Vinson has turned around and is headed for port in Hawaii
Praise the Lord – the Yoder family will be flying to Hawaii soon to meet Kristen – and Praise the Lord — all the family will ride the Carl Vinson back to port in San Diego. Can’t wait to see Kirsten and hear the Yoder’s report what it was like riding on a ship the size of 4 football fields….with a crew of 6,000…WOW — Praise the Lord!!!
Did you know Kiki Marshall and Ysabel Drag are working at a greenhouse this summer?…………..Caleb Yoder who graduated from Harrisburg this summer is working with his father in the construction business…………..Morgan Duff will be leaving this Sunday for “Camp Barnabas”. She will be celebrating her 15th birthday at camp. The camp is located in Purdy MO……………Vern Johnson is driving his truck full of supplies to Minnesota – he is helping a friend repair a camp…………..Max and Annie will be celebrating their 51st wedding anniversary this Saturday…………..So happy to report with all the cuts at the University in Kent Faddis’ department – his job was saved. He texted our group yesterday morning with this good report…………..The Bible says “rejoice with those who rejoice” —– Last weekend Ross Steelman was the only golfer to shoot both rounds sub-70….and win the tournament. Ross is the youngest player to ever win the 58 year old tournament – our congrats go out to our Christian brother……………Thanks to you who prayed for our daughter Heather and family who traveled to Haiti this week. They are there – safe/sound – and have started their 10 week ministry with the Mission of Hope. They will return to Austin, TX – August 11. They took 9 suitcases & 13 carry-on’s……………
General Fund $2775
Missions – P.E.T. $1.35
The purpose of the BLESSING BOX is to provide non-perishable
food for those living in our community but whose food runs out before the money does – and they will be invited to come and take food from this box…..
Glad to report that the graphic designer is working to complete our Blessing Box. The same organization that set our church sign is working on our Blessing Box — upon completion it will read from both sides these words
This is a Blessing Box
Take what you need
Leave what you can
Above All be Blessed
Caring is Sharing
Beginning in July – I’d like to challenge everyone to bring a small sack of unperishable goodies to put in the blessing box….There will be a box on the east wall of the foyer to place your food.
· The brother-in-law of Chris Fleenor passed away & his funeral is later this week
· Marci Henderson – has come down with Bell’s Palsy
· Maryann Williamson had surgery yesterday (Wed) – and will be dismissed later today (Thurs)…Jackie saw her and reports the procedure was successful – PTL
· Kirsten Yoder’s safe return from North Korea
· Move of God’s Spirit in 65202 area code – the community will hunger & thirst for righteousness
· Great turn out for our Hour Long prayer time this Sunday evening at 5:00 PM
· 2 Chronicles 7:14 Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.
· Morgan Duff will have a heavenly experience this upcoming week at Camp Barnabas…this is the week she looks forward to all year – let’s pray God will give her the desires of her heart.
· Bro Doug – employment
Matt 5:2-12 “God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him,[a]
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
4 God blesses those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 God blesses those who are humble,
for they will inherit the whole earth.
6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice,[b]
for they will be satisfied.
7 God blesses those who are merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 God blesses those whose hearts are pure,
for they will see God.
9 God blesses those who work for peace,
for they will be called the children of God.
10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right,
for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs.