If I struggle in one area – it would be this: the way some Christians act – teach- philosophize breaks my heart. I trust you along with me are proud to represent Jesus and proclaim His gospel. Maybe this idea – intensified when the Westboro Baptist church came to Columbia, a couple years ago – seeing placards with these sayings…. God Hates Fags…Thank God for Dead Soldiers….When Planes Crash, God laughs……I wonder why God allows these people to represent Him?
One thing is true – we all have an opinion – but that doesn’t give the green light to share our opinion with cruelty and cutting sarcasm. Thank God no all believers act or believe this way yet it only takes a tiny spark to spread a wildfire.
· Just because one church worships with mechanical music doesn’t make that church any more righteous than another
· Just because your preacher preaches exegetically rather than topically doesn’t make him any more holy….maybe he is reaching a different crowd.
· That issue of social drinking is tough – Scripture doesn’t address it – it only speaks of drunkenness — let’s remember we speak where the Bible speaks and are silent where the Bible is silent…
· Displeased with the failures of others? You’re allowed to be. But please don’t take to social media and display your judgment and distaste as if you and I are any better. Everybody makes mistakes. That’s why Jesus died on the cross.
The Bible puts a premium on love and grace. Once again, I’m proud to be a Christian, but I cannot say I like the way all of them act. I would be the first to lay down my life for The One who laid down His. Mark 12:31 “The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these. The image of love-bearing is something we cannot ignore as a followers of Jesus. Scripture uses the word LOVE some 500x’s.
Luke 6:35 “But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.”
Our job as followers of Jesus is to reflect His love—the same love that Jesus showcased on a splintered plank of wood known as the cross. I’m not ignorant enough to believe that because we demonstrate Christ’s love we will receive love back — probably just the opposite. Jesus said – if the world hate me – it will also hate you. John 15:18. Without love we are without Jesus. We must understand that The Gospel without love isn’t truly The Gospel at all. Jesus himself is the image we must seek to reflect, and our mission is to love because he first loved us. We as Christians must show God’s love through every facet of our lives. It has the power to change the world.
We changed the prayer gathering from Friday to the 1st Sunday of the month. Because of the holiday last weekend –we have moved our 1st Sunday Evening Prayer Gathering to this coming Sunday evening. The prayer gathering will begin at 5:00 PM – and conclude at 7:00 PM. Again – each can come….pray….leave throughout the 2 hours….please do not feel compelled to stay unless the Holy Spirit is responsible for that compelling….What can we pray for Sunday evening?
· Spiritual growth of the body of Christ
· Great desire for each member to share their faith this week
· Invite someone to a D-Group
· Eph 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Cry out to Jesus that Satan’s grip on the North East quadrant of Columbia will be released and people will hunger/thirst for the Gospel of Christ.
· In our children’s ministry – we will have 12 children under 12 years old
· The middle school and high school youth work at Blue Ridge on Wednesday night will attract many from Discovery as well as from those who live in 65202 area code
· Those who feel no compulsion to fellowship with the body of Christ on the weekend and remember the horrendous death Jesus died at Calvary in the communion service
The Current Sermon Series in entitled – HACKED…As expert criminals hack accounts – emails – international documents – etc almost daily — we all know the author of the original Hack Job is – SATAN….. Last week Deiter spoke how Satan hacked the 1st marriage in the Garden of Eden…..and all the misery that has resulted — this weekend we will continue to see how Satan Hacked Aaron after Moses spent 40 days on top the Mountain with God. The people cried out for a god to lead them as Moses had done – so he gives into their requests and creates a molten god of gold. As a result Aaron commits despicable acts of breaking the 1st 2 commandments – before the “ink dried.”
Given a survey – what would you say the Golden Calf of the church is today? What is your golden calf – hope you plan to be with us this weekend as we address Exodus 32.
Last Saturday afternoon at 3:00 PM – I had the privilege of preaching the funeral service for my aunt Earlene. She was my father’s youngest brother’s wife. Aunt Earlene was 94 yrs. old. Funeral home was packed…..she had 7 children – 14 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren. When you consider spouses & children – there were 69 at the after funeral dinner at the Christian Church….
Thanks for those who prayed for Annie and me in our travels – as well as – for the Spirit using me to deliver hope and comfort during the message.
Thanks to Deiter for preaching both services last weekend, while I was away – preaching my Aunt’s Funeral, in our hometown…..Just got off the phone with one of our member’s who said “Deiter knocked it out of the park Sunday!!!…………….Brother Doug and Madison have birthdays on the same day – figured that out January 5….Happy Birthday to both……………..To make a New Years Resolution is to set ones self up for failure —why? Most resolutions are to difficult to keep for 365 days……..but to deepen an already made commitment is very biblical…..Therefore I will believe that everyone at Discovery will DEEPEN their commitment to Jesus Christ and His Bride – (Discovery) during 2016……………..Early in January the monthly Bible reading was sent out by email…..The church will read the book of John this month so I hope you are daily involved in studying the life of Jesus Christ, through the lens of the Apostle John…………….One of the best ways you can honor me is to honor my Bride…….therefore, one of the best ways you can honor Christ, is to honor His Bride – the church….hope everyone will honor Jesus’ Bride this weekend…..it will be a joy to break bread and share the word with you at Discovery this weekend.
All 7 of our D-Groups will be back in session starting the week of January 11. It was enjoyable to take a Christmas break – but it will be more enjoyable fellowshipping – praying – growing with each group member
As you read these words and you are not in a D-Group….please consider the spiritual benefits you would glean by such a group
· Great intimate friendship
· Spiritual fellowship
· Deepen your prayer life
· Life up the church to be the Light of the World in northeast Columbia
· Salvation of lost souls
· Spiritual insights into God’s Word as you study Scripture
1 Timothy 1:12-17 12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength to do his work. He considered me trustworthy and appointed me to serve him, 13 even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. 14 Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus.
15 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners”—and I am the worst of them all. 16 But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 All honor and glory to God forever and ever! He is the eternal King, the unseen one who never dies; he alone is God. Amen.
· Joy Weir – getting stronger and healing from surgery
· Jackie’s sister in Shelbina
· Leslie Marshall – relief from pain
· Safety and witness of our school-age children at school
· Sons/daughter and family of Earlene Jennings (Max’s aunt)
· Sunday evening Prayer Gathering
· Growth – spiritual/numerical of our 7 D-Groups
General Fund $1105.00