Micah 2:13 Your leader will break out and lead you out of exile, out through the gates of the enemy cities, back to your own land. Your king will lead you; the LORD himself will guide you.”
Because JESUS has gone before us – nothing is as it might have been. Jesus conquered every foe that tried to block our path. If you are a faint-hearted warrior – CHEER UP NOT!!! Christ has traveled the road – while on the road – He defeated every one of our enemies.
· Do you dread sin? He has nailed it to His cross.
· Do you fear death? He has been the death of Death.
· Are you afraid of hell? He has barred it against the advent of any of His children; they shall never see the gulf of perdition.
· Whatever foes may be before the Christian, they are all overcome. There are lions, but their teeth are broken; there are serpents, but their fangs are extracted; there are rivers, but they are bridged or fordable; there are flames, but we wear that matchless garment that renders us invulnerable to fire.
The words of 1 Cor 15:55 should be shared regularly as our encouragement and not reserved for funeral services of the righteous.
Death is swallowed up in victory, O death where is your victory
O death where is your sting, When Jesus victoriously rose out of that grave – he simultaneously pulled the poisonous stinger of our enemy Satan OUT!!!
1 Cor 15:57-58 But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.
Discovery God has secured our victory – and as we go throughout the community –we go in victory. As we understand all that Christ has achieved in our behalf – boldness in witness should replace passivity —- the desire to let our Light shine for Christ – should quickly replace hiding our witness under the bushel of fear, insecurity and doubt. No despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ who loved us.
Proclaim aloud the Savior’s fame,
Who bears the Breaker’s wond’rous name;
Sweet name; and it becomes him well,
Who breaks down earth, sin, death, and hell.
The real pot of gold is the love of Jesus
The teacher is always silent when giving a test
The Ten Commandments are not Multiple Choice
If the devil is knocking at your door, let Jesus answer it
If we could mind our biscuits, life would be gravy
The second year of Discovery College begins 9/11/17.
Year 2 will be New Testament.
There will be 4 six week classes. Each class will have six lessons.
Classes will be Monday’s from 5-6 pm most weeks at Discovery. Students will be notified of any change in class schedule weekly.
The four classes will be:
4. Major New Testament Teachings
There will be written tests most weeks, at the end of each class of six lessons, and a final exam at the end of each 6 week class and a final exam at the end of the year.
The classes will be a Bible College level of instruction.
Teacher – Ross Duff
Students who finish the entire year will receive a certificate of completion.
Discovery College is a non accredited college part of the ministry of teaching of Discovery Church. More information is available at DiscoveryCollege.org. Year 2 may be taken in person by attending the weekly lectures or online. The same amount of work is required by either method.
The class is free. The text book will be the New Testament, using the New Living Translation in most materials. A supplemental textbook can be purchased for about $25 and is recommended.
To enroll in year 2, please attend the first class September 11 or email Ross Duff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Pray that many will want to advance their spiritual knowledge and take advantage of Year 2 of Discovery College
· Death has hit Discovery Family — last week the daughter-in-law of Ron/Rocci Kendall passed from this life – (a memorial service will be held at Discovery, Sept 30 @ 1:00 PM……Yesterday (Thursday) – Annie’s mother passed from this life – service will be held next week in our hometown in Illinois
· Pray that each of us will have a Bold Witness as we share with those in our circle of influence — may we hold high Christ’s reputation – and may these individuals see Christ in us
· From the school children I have spoken with – sounds like everyone is getting off to a good start this year — continue to pray for their spiritual witness in the halls of education
· Pray for the move of Christ in area-code 65202 — that our blessing box will demonstrate our desire to help people in our community – and those who read our sign will be challenged to pursue a walk with Christ
Rom 6:1-4 Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? 2 Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? 3 Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? 4 For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.
This Sunday following our morning service we will adjourn outside for our Baptismal Service. Mary and Dixie have made the decision to follow Christ in biblical baptism. Our baptismal tank is at the end of the sidewalk leading to the Red Storage barn……If everyone would just gather on the parking lot – or hillside – you will have a great view of the ceremony.
If others are feeling led to honor Christ in this beautiful spiritual ceremony – depicting the death – burial – and resurrection of Jesus Christ — please bring a change of clothes and towel.
General Fund $1851.00
Mission – Homeless $ 27.25
There will be brochures available this weekend for you to grab a handful – to share with your non-churched friends and family. There is a national push setting aside September 17 as Back to Church Sunday…..
· Please be an invite
· Please pray for those who will be inviting
· Please lift up our community hoping to see a harvest of souls for the one who said – lift up your eyes for the fields are white unto harvest
Beginning the 1st weekend in September – ending the week of Thanksgiving – we will be preaching CHIRST IN THE PSALMS….. As you will see below – we begin with the wonderful Psalm 1…..Everyone loves the Psalms – this will be a wonderful study of Israel’s hymnbook – and a time of renewing your mind with some of the wonderful teaching of King David.
Psalm 1 — Oh, the joys of those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or stand around with sinners, or join in with mockers 2 But they delight in the law of the Lord, meditating on it day and night. 3 They are like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season. Their leaves never wither, and they prosper in all they do. 4 But not the wicked! They are like worthless chaff, scattered by the wind. 5 They will be condemned at the time of judgment. Sinners will have no place among the godly. 6 For the Lord watches over the path of the godly, but the path of the wicked leads to destruction.