We spend an awful lot of time in life worrying. Children and parents worry about grades — parents worry about job interviews, approaching deadlines and shrinking budgets. We worry about bills and expenses, rising gas prices. Today we worry about the Election (Nov 8) – ISIS – and our health. In spite of all the worrying, we’re still alive and well, and all our bills are paid.
Over the span of a lifetime, worrying can add up to hours and hours of invaluable time that we’ll never get back. With that in mind, maybe you’d like to spend your time more wisely and enjoyably. If you’re not yet convinced to give up your worrying, here are four biblical reasons not to worry.
1. Worrying Accomplishes Absolutely Nothing.
Most Christians don’t have time to I don’t know to waste these days. And worrying is a waste of our precious time. Worrying won’t help you solve a problemor bring about a solution, so why waste your time and energy on it? Matthew 6:27-29 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.
2. Worrying Is Not Good for You.
Worrying is destructive to us in many ways. It becomes a mental burden that can even cause us to grow physically sick. Proverbs 12:25 Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up.
3. Worrying is the Opposite of Trusting God.
The energy that we spend worrying can be put to much better use in prayer. Here’s a little formula to remember: Worry replaced by Prayer equals Trust. Matthew 6:30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? Philippians 4:6-7 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
4. Worrying Puts Your Focus in the Wrong Direction.
When we keep our eyes focused on God, we remember his love for us, and we realize we truly have nothing to worry about. God has a wonderful plan for our lives, and part of that plan includes taking care of us. Even in the difficult times, when it seems like God doesn’t care, we can put our trust in the Lord and focus on his Kingdom. God will take care of our every need. Matthew 6:25 That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
Some wonderful events will be taking place at Discovery Center. Some you will be apart of – others you will just have knowledge of….
· Each Sunday evening Discovery College convenes. What a wonderful way to become more acquainted with your Bible. Please check this out atdiscoverhim.org.
· Beginning September 7 in the PM – running through the month of January – Victory Christian Church will be using our facility for their mid-week worship service. They sold their building on Portland and are building off Ballenger Lane, and need a temporary meeting place.
· Nov 8 – the city has requested the use of our building to be used as a polling place for the national election. We have granted permission. What a wonderful way to get people to come in to our facility – hoping some will come back the following weekend for worship.
· September 11 – following Sunday Celebration service we will have an All-Church-Chicken Pot Luck Dinner. Several months ago we enjoyed the wonderful meal and fellowship – and we will do it again on the 11th. The reason we picked the 11th is for this reason….Discovery began meeting on Sunday – September 11th at the Columbia Country Club….that day we will celebrate our 11th Anniversary.
· Either Thursday or Friday of this week – our security system will become wireless as Tiger Security will place a box inside our church – which will give us 100% security if: (1) the power fails (2) if thieves would clip the wires leading into our building – we do purchase the box upfront – then pay a $6 monthly service fee.
· Our September Prayer Evening will be on September 9 – from 5:00 – 7:00 PM
Ladies of Discovery – this Thursday evening, you are invited to a fellowship potluck at the home of Jackie Drage:
This months potluck club is for women of all ages. It will be at the Drages on August 25th at 6pm.
Please bring a dish of your choice.
Address is 7381 East Suncrest Ct. Columbia
Call or text 1.425.499.0857 if you have any questions!
Hope to see all the ladies there!
· Received word that Bro Tom Detore’s brother passed from this life Sunday afternoon. Tom and Eileen are in Nebraska with the family.
· Let’s continue to pray (1) God will heal Kiki Marshall and she will not need the meds or (2) Big Pharm and the Insurance company will reach an agreement so the Marshall’s can get the meds at a respectable cost.
· All our school children will have a safe year – and will excel in the classroom as well as the sports field. On top of all that they will be pro active in sharing Christ with classmates. It would be equally appropriate to pray for our classroom teachers – Jimmy Steelman and Anita Hummel
· All D-Groups will excel in: Discipleship – Fellowship – Prayer – Evangelism –
As the month of August winds down – I am believing that you are current on your daily bible reading plan the church sends our – or you are in the Word daily with your own plan.
The church has been reading Paul’s prison epistles – Galatians – Ephesians – Philippians – Colossians.
If you haven’t started – you could probably read all 4 books in a week – only 20 chapters total….Psa 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Parents of Tweens – please know that our Youth Group has been cordially invited to unite with the youth group at Blue Ridge…..They meet each Wednesday evening at the Blue Ridge Campus…..Bro Doug and Ysabelle play in the praise team.
What an opportunity – how great it is that churches help each other — I just wanted everyone to be aware of this opportunity.
Phil 4:6-8 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. 8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Church giving the past two weeks….
General Fund $1,660.00
Missions – Panama 31.25
Eph 6:10-17 10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we[a] are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness.15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.[b] 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.[c] 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.