Oliver Wendell Holmes said, “Some people are so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good.” C. S. Lewis observed, “If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next.”
Being “spiritually minded” has always been a high priority among Christians. The language of spiritual mindedness comes from the Apostle Paul Rom 8:5 “For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit”
In this passage the phrase “set their minds” is a verb that refers to the totality of one’s thoughts, affections, and desires. Paul’s words both state a reality and suggest a responsibility.
Here is the reality: your mindset is an evidence of spiritual condition. To quote John R. W. Stott: “Our mindset expresses our basic nature as Christians and concerns our attitude toward God. Notice how Paul contrasts two different kinds of people: a) believers, b) non-believers…the way of Jesus – or the way of rebellion against God.
Rom 8:7-8 “For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.” It is also a responsibility. Setting your mind on spiritual things is a command to be obeyed.
1. Fill your mind with the Spirit’s words. Paul tells us, in 2 Timothy 3:16, that all Scripture is God-breathed. And in 1 Corinthians 2:12-13, Paul says “we have received . . . the Spirit who is from God, and we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit…” These passages show us that the Spirit communicates through Scripture. To have a mind filled with and shaped by Scripture is, therefore, to have a mind that is set on the things of the Spirit.
2. Ask for the Spirit’s help. You must have the Spirit’s help to set your mind on the Spirit. You can pray John Piper’s little acronym, the IOUS.
I: “Incline my heart to your testimonies and not to getting gain.” (Psalm 119:36)
O: “Open my eyes that I might behold wondrous things out of your law.” (Psalm 119:18)
U: “Unite my heart that I might fear your name.” (Psalm 86:11)
S: “Satisfy me in the morning with your steadfast love that I might rejoice and be glad in you all my days.” (Psalm 90:14)
3. Practice the presence of the Spirit every day. Brother Lawrence, was an humble, ordinary man, who learned to bask in God’s presence moment-by-moment. His masterpiece is The Practice of the Presence of God. Realize the Spirit is right there with you, wherever you are, and whatever you’re doing. In fact, he is not only with you. He is in you.
10:30 AM today was the celebration service for the home going of Bro. Leon Hicks…..the service was conducted at the Cater Funeral Home in Moberly, Missouri.
Our thoughts and prayers will go with Mrs. Jeri in her time of loss. I’m sure others reached out to her – but I want to say a big thank-you to Doug and Jackie who were like family to her these past 3 days…..
After missing our men’s D-Group for a couple weeks because of travels to our family’s home in Fredericksburg – it was great to be back this morning. What a blessing it is to pray with the men – fellowship with the men – study with the men – laugh with the men – as iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend…….it would make my joy complete to see 50% of Discovery involved in a weekly D-Group………..Solomon and April returned from their vacation in Sarasota, Fla earlier this week – great to get away – great to get back……………..Bro Jerry saw his oncologist on Tuesday – our prayers now are to ask God to use the meds – the procedures prescribed to bring healing to his body……………So grateful to report that the past few weeks has seen several guests worship with us….might lift up a pray that they will return, and we will be able to support…encourage…and share Christ with them week-to-week…………Please know…..the cancellation of last Saturday’s Celebration service was one time only — and those who worship on Saturday are encouraged to return this Saturday evening and Doug will strike up the band at 5:00 PM – see you then…Seems like the jury pool at the courthouse has their eyes on Discovery – the past 3 weeks – Jenn Faddis – Deiter Duff and next week me – will be calling the hotline to see if there are any jury trials the week I’m to serve…the issue as with all working individuals – how can I get done with grace and serve 5 days on a jury…..I’m praying God’s will be done – whether I serve or not…..love you to partner in prayer with me
· Karen Tompkins family in Michigan…may we all pray for Aaron & Velma that God’s will be done in the face of marital disharmony…
· Little Isaiah Baker will celebrate his 2nd Birthday Sunday – pray that He will become a Godly Man serving Christ all the days of his life
· Jerry Noble – new medication do it’s special work of killing cancer cells and the spasm’s he has been experiencing will cease
· From the conclusion of last week’s message – each were challenged to pray for daily for 2/3 families – people – they haven’t seen in church recently. Let this be a reminder to continue praying for these individuals
· Mrs. Jerry as she grieves the loss of her husband Bro Leon
We are half way through our current Reel to Real series – with the movie under discussion this week – Get Out…Being honest – some form of racism has been with us since the days of Scripture…..does any see a light at the end of the tunnel – what is the cause – how can it be defined – do you feel it is a sin? No small challenge awaits me this weekend – need your prayers….
JUDAS The Betrayer
– The Best Pastor
– The Best Leader
– The Best Teacher
– The Best Friend
Yet Judas failed
The Problem isn’t the Leadership or the church you go to.
If your attitude doesn’t change or your character transform. You will always be the same…
Joshua 24:13-16 So I gave you a land on which you did not toil and cities you did not build; and you live in them and eat from vineyards and olive groves that you did not plant.’ 14 “Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. 15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.” 16 Then the people answered, “Far be it from us to forsake the LORD to serve other gods!