Memorial Day is a day that is set aside to remember, and honor, our brave soldiers who have given their lives to protect our land and keep us free. It began as a day to honor our Civil War dead, but after World War I, it was expanded to include our war dead from all the wars in which America was involved.
Just stop and think about a little of what these wonderful young people have given up for us.
· At the very least, they have given years of their life, time away from their families, to serve their country which they love. T
· hey have given us any chance of setting down “roots”, having to move from base to base once every 3 to 4 years.
· Many will be physically disabled the rest of their life, having the use of one or more of their limbs taken from them.
· And thousands upon thousands have given the ultimate sacrifice, their life, so that we can continue to enjoy our lives living safely in a land of freedom. It seems as if saying “Thank You” just isn’t enough.
THE SCRIPTURE: John 15:12-14 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
JESUS recognized the tremendous sacrifice involved when a person is willing to give up their life for their friend. He describes it as an act of “great love.” Who better to be able to understand and define the very essence of self-sacrifice and love, that JESUS. Think about what Christ has done for US?
· He willingly humbled Himself and came to the earth, God in human flesh, giving up the glories of heaven to live among us.
· Then, during His life on earth, He set the ultimate example of service, teaching, feeding, praying for and healing those who were in need.
· Next, He was willing to be falsely accused, mocked, physically beaten, mistreated and convicted for a set of crimes that He did not commit.
· Finally, submitting to a horrible death of slow suffocation while hanging on a cross, all so that His people could receive forgiveness and deliverance from their sin and its results.
THE PRACTICAL APPLICATION:
On this Memorial Day weekend, let us remember the brave soldiers who have so unselfishly given of themselves for us.
But also this weekend, let us remember the Lord Jesus Christ and all that He has done for us so that we might be saved from the eternal punishment for our sins. And then out of appreciation for His works, let us give ourselves for others, obeying the perfect law of Christ…
May we all have a blessed Memorial Day weekend.
This weekend – we will put a wrap on our 2016 Reel To Real series. The final film in the series is INSIDE OUT….. it is story about a 11-year-old girl name Riley who has deep roots in her hometown in Minnesota. Because of her father’s work – they pack up and move to San Francisco. Many animated movies deal with toys – etc — but this move deals with EMOTIONS. How many emotions do you have? — which is dominate? It appears that the movie wants Riley to have joy in spite of all other outside stimuli affecting her.
The movie presents 5 emotions: Joy – Fear — Sadness – Disgust – Anger…..Have you ever considered the role emotions play in your life? This movie forces us to take a deep look at our emotions. The sad part is many of us feel that we only have one emotion – JOY — and we downplay all other emotions as though society forbids us from being sad – expressing anger – etc.
It was interesting in our groups this week – we look at the final half of Rom 12 – and one question asked how many emotions can you find demonstrated here? Thinking Biblically – did Jesus express emotions – and how did he handle them? Obviously, if Jesus expressed emotions – they are all good because Jesus never sinned…..
Trust you will worship with us as we unpack the pertinent truths of INSIDE OUT….
· Joy Weir was dismissed yesterday from the University hospital – but is looking at a procedure in Kansas City they do not offer in Columbia. Please continue to pray that she will have wisdom in making this decision – and for wisdom with the medical personnel in K.C.?
· Karen Tompkins asked for prayer for her son Aaron and Velma – that they will have God’s wisdom in a decision they are going to make.
· Tons of our people will be all over the country this weekend — How to have let’s pray for safety in travel and great fellowship with family…..
· God’s blessing to bring many youth to our combined V.B.S.’s with Blue Ridge and Family Worship Center.
· Our people will seek opportunity to tell friends – and others about Discovery – and the welcome mat is always OUT……..
· Please lift up the young people of N.E. Columbia – that they will have a heart for God and a thirst for righteousness
The next series at DISCOVERY, will begin the weekend of June 4-5- and will be a 9-week in-depth study of the book of Ephesians. I am sure the understanding of that Epistle would range from wondering if it is O.T. or N.T. – to having certain parts of Paul’s teaching memorized…..I look so forward to opening up these 6 chapters and digging to the core of every principle – ever point – helping everyone of us become who God wants us to become in Him.
Our topics will cover what is The Mystery?……How do we pray for spiritual wisdom?…..How to have unity and peace in Christ!!!……..Can there be spiritual unity in the Church?……..How do we live as Children of Light?…..What is the biblical role of Husband/Wife/…. Children/Parents/…. Slaves/Masters….What does it mean to put on the Whole Armor of God?
Quoting Bill Gothard – he says “the study you need most will be the one Satan will try to keep you away from”. Settle the issue by being at every study as we unpack this tremendous work of the Apostle Paul.
“Schools out schools out teacher let the mules out”……this line was used in our community back in the barefoot days – but the truth is today school is officially over for the summer…..Thanks for praying for our young boys and girls —- no injuries this year — no major issues this year— several accolades by our youth – for which we are all proud……Kaylee Faddis won an award at Oakland — Morgan Duff won an award last night at Jeff — Madison and Kiki played in the band at their respective schools graduation exercise last weekend — Ross Steelman won all state in golf. Hey – obviously I don’t know everything so if your child won something – let me know and it will go into E-News next week……………there is a sign thief around Discovery —- (1) our signs letting people know we have Tiger Security have been stolen – and (2) our church sign stuck in the ground at the round-a-bout at Vandiver was taken this week…..Kevin Myers mother will celebrate her 80th birthday Saturday in Michigan….the family is in route to share in the celebration…………did you know the percentage of millennia’s living with their parents are at an 100 year high….greater percentage living with parents than are married or living together in the 18-34 year old category…. Crazy………….
This letter is from Paul, chosen by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus.
I am writing to God’s holy people in Ephesus,[a] who are faithful followers of Christ Jesus.
2 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace. 3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. 4 Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. 5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. 6 So we praise God for the glorious grace he has poured out on us who belong to his dear Son.