Top Ten Ways Churches Drive Away First-Time Guest
It is always a point of concern when guests attend your service and appear to enjoy everything from worship to communion – as well as the Bible Lesson…….BUT they do not return for a 2nd experience. WHY? Without dissecting the service – we might have a quick response. Something like – “they probably want hymns’” ….. “they probably wanted a more “touchy=feely” message”……. With a smaller church they could see immediately they might be asked to serve whereas all they want it to nod to God and leave…….maybe as they come to Communion Time – and the introspection they experienced – the Holy Spirit brought a conviction of sin which made them feel uncomfortable. It could be one of these reasons – or it could be 100 different…..below you will see the top 10 ways that the CHURCH is directly involved as to whether a guest returns again. Please look at each one individually and pray as the Holy Spirit leads you that Discovery will be a church where people enjoy a 2nd vist.
- A stand up and greet one another time in the worship service. This response was my greatest surprise for two reasons. First, I was surprised how much guests are really uncomfortable during this time. Second, I was really surprised that it was the most frequent response.
- Unfriendly church members. This response was anticipated. But the surprise was the number of respondents who included non-genuine friendliness in their answers. In other words, the guests perceived some of the church members were faking it.
- Unsafe and unclean children’s area. This response generated the greatest emotional reactions. If your church does not give a high priority to children, don’t expect young families to attend.
- No place to get information. If your church does not have a clear and obvious place to get information, you probably have lowered the chances of a return visit by half. There should also be someone to greet and assist guests at that information center as well.
- Bad church website. Most of the church guests went to the church website before they attended a worship service. Even if they attended the service after visiting a bad website, they attended with a prejudicial perspective. The two indispensable items guests want on a website are address and times of service. It’s just that basic.
- Poor signage. If you have been attending a church for a few weeks, you forget all about the signage. You don’t need it any more. But guests do. And they are frustrated when it’s not there.
- Insider church language. Most of the respondents were not referring to theological language as much as language that only the members know. My favorite example was: “The WMU will meet in the CLC in the room where the GAs usually meet.”
- Boring or bad service. My surprise was not the presence of this item. The surprise was that it was not ranked higher.
- Members telling guests that they were in their seat or pew. Yes, this obviously still takes place in some churches.
- Dirty facilities. Some of the comments: “Didn’t look like it had been cleaned in a week.” “No trash cans anywhere.” Restrooms were worse than a bad truck stop.” “Chairs had more stains than a Tide commercial.”
On Friday, February 13 at 6:30pm the Pot Luck Club will be meeting at Gina Croft’s house. We had a great turn out at Becky’s house and we wanted to do it again really soon. So, bring a Finger Food to share AND a couple of thoughts: 2 really embarrassing moments and 2 really proud moments. Gina’s address: 4002 Tropical Lane in Vanderveen on North Providence. ALL LADIES of ALL AGES are invited!
This Friday evening will be our Monthly Prayer Gathering. Hey Guys – this is as serious as it can be…….The leadership of Discovery really believe that we are in a Spiritual War for the souls of those who live north of I-70……..I’d like to challenge everyone to give 30 minutes on Feb 6 – to come to Discovery Center and pray that God will allow the message of the Gospel to have full reign on those in our community. Also we must pray that Satan’s efforts will be minimized – as well as curtailed by the Blood of the Lamb.
Feb 6 – 7:00 PM Prayer Gathering
2 special hours in February hated most by SATAN
2 hours to free captives
2 hours to remind us of the priority of prayer in our lives/church
This is a NOTICE to all at Discovery. Max – cancelled his landline phone number Monday of this week. His Cell # is 573-673-6262. Please don’t hesitate to call if you want to relay a message – give a prayer request – or ask a question.
· Kingdom work in Northeast Columbia
· Chris and Rita Fleenor’s daughter Cari who is having hernia surgery
· All D-Groups to grow inward — outward – and upward
· Some who struggle with the story of Creation will share this weekend as we speak regarding Evolution and Faith.
· Andrea Turner (our young friend from Forum who has struggle with Leukemia for 2 years) – hopefully will come home this weekend from Northwestern Medical Center. Andrea is trying an experimental drug. Our PRAYER is that this drug will do the trick – kill all leukemia cells and help restore Andrea’s body to normal.
· Great response for our 1st Friday Night Prayer Gathering
Last Friday morning Congresswoman Vicky Hartzler invited about 30 ministers to dinner at Lucy’s Café. She is our rep in Washington, D.C. We started with PRAYER…..she shared her conversion story – telling us she was in the process of memorizing Isaiah 61. All ministers were given 3 minutes to state what God was doing in their church. She called on me first – and I was quick to speak about our Prayer Gathering – and our upcoming Prayer effort on Spiritual Warfare. Several others spoke about the place pray played in their congregation (which encouraged me greatly).
She was quick to state that she prayed for the Pastors of Columbia – and also stated the answers to our nations ills are not in the White House – but in the Church House. Another good statement was this – among Congress — “there are at least 12 – 14 Bible studies one could attend each week.” I left the 2 hour meeting so encouraged to know there were people in government who are fundamental Christians and not afraid to speak up for their faith and for America.
Feb 27, 7:00 PM – Family Movie Night…..
Years of bouncing from one foster care home to another have left Mason Jones feeling unwanted and unloved. When the 17-year-old moves in with the Lewis family, they seem just like all of his previous foster parents: middle-aged, one child, and called by God to his change his life. However, unlike the others, the Lewis family is determined to keep Mason around, despite the initial wishes of their son, Nate, who views taking Mason into their home as an attempt to replace their deceased son and brother, Jack.
With zero chances left and no other options than being locked up in juvenile detention, Mason starts attending a court mandated support group. There, he finds a surprise ally in the pastor’s daughter, Lacey, and learns important life lessons about humility, respect, and fresh starts.
In our current Sermon Series TABOO – our topic this weekend will be Evolution and Faith. Because of the bad weather this week – some groups did not meet. What comes to mind when you consider Creationism…..Evolution. Were Adam/Eve real – or figurative for Humanity? Did God create the world in 6 – 24 hour days? How do you explain the fact the SUN was not created till Day 4 – and we need the sun to chart our days? Is there a gap between Gen 1:1 – and Gen 1:2? What might have occurred in this period of time? Can one believe in evolution and still be a Christian?
General Fund $2,839.00
Yellow Duck $ 2.00
We have an AUTHOR among us. Liz Meyers has written a book Not My Turn and is now posted on Amazon. You can search it under PTSD, Elizabeth Meyers and/or search the title of the book.
The TABOO topic for the weekend of Feb 14-15 – will be Sexual Detox – PORNOGRAPHY….
1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18 Run from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. 19 Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, 20 for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.
Job 31:1“I made a covenant with my eyes not to look with lust at a young woman.